Do you want a faster way of measuring eye movement?
The Developmental Eye Movement Test (DEM) is an essential tool for detecting difficulties with reading 1 and eye movement 2. It was invented in 1983 by Dr Jack Richman - Professor at the New England College of Optometry, Boston.
Like many clinicians who value the test, I refer to the manual for results. This was a very time consuming process, which did not allow me to think on the spot. That was why we made the DEM Calculator App.
- Simple to Use
- Gives Instant Results
- Allows for Fast Decision Making
Looks good and easy to use.
This is a great timesaver! Thanks for creating.
The DEM calculator has allowed me to examine my patients quickly and accurately. I have move confidence in my diagnosis when using this App.
Very good App, it makes you consider everything ensuring accurate results.
How to Use the DEM Calculator?
Select Age or Grade
Press the Start Button to Start Recording
Press the Stop Button to Stop Recording
Note any errors by pressing the ‘+’ or ‘-’ keys
When you are finished, proceed to the next test
Your results are ready!
What do the Results mean?
This is the patient’s number naming speed.
This is the patient’s eye movement speed after accounting for errors.
This is the patient’s accuracy for the three tests.
This is determined by dividing the Adjusted Horizontal Time by the Vertical Time. The ratio score is used to compare automaticity and oculomotor control levels.
There are four likely outcomes:
- Type 1: Average Performance
- Type 2: Oculomotor Dysfunction
- Type 3: Poor Automaticity of Number Naming
- Type 4: Deficiencies in both Automaticity & Oculomotor skills
Results highlighted in orange are borderline
Results highlighted in red are abnormal
- Lauren N Ayton, Larry A Abel, Timothy R fricke, Neville McBrien. Developmental Eye Movement Test. What is it really measuring? Optometry and Vision Science Vol 86, No. 6, June 2009
- Manzoli, MV, Facchin, A. Pregliasco, R. (2014, November 28). “A comparison of objective (Readalyzer) and subjective (DEM test) evaluation of ocular movements”. Retrieved from this article.